Call Us Today! 626.270.0909

J-1 Student Visas

The J-Visa is an excellent option available to those who need to study in the United States to complete their education. Students who use this visa will have certain benefits, such as having the ability to work. Keep in mind that the J-1 visa will only last as long as the necessary academic training the student needs to complete their education.

What is J-1 Visa? Practical Training

A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant student visa issued to students who need to obtain practical training that is not available in their home country to complete their academic program.

Can I Extend a J-1 Visa?

If the J-1 student has an unexpected problem, then they can apply to extend their stay. There is no guarantee that they would be able to extend the J-1 visa. If you are going to apply for an extension, you must submit documents showing valid reasons for the extension, such as a letter from an advisor or school or department explaining the academic reason for your extension. You will also need to show financial documentation proving you can afford to pay the tuition and living expenses. Keep in mind that academic suspension is not a valid reason for an extension.

Can a Student with a J-1 Visa Work?

Students with a J-1 status have similar employment opportunities and restrictions as students with an F-1 visa. The main difference between a J1 visa student and a student with an F-1 visa is that a J-1 student needs to receive permission to work from the exchange visitor program sponsor while a student with an F-1 visa does not. A research student with a J-1 visa can work for a non-sponsored employer in a closely related field. However, they will need to receive permission from the original sponsor.

If a student with a J-1 visa wishes to work more than 20 hours a week, the student is limited to working for their sponsor.

How Long Does a J-1 Visa Last?

In general, a J-1 visa will be valid for the duration of the academic program in which the student is enrolled. But students between the ages of 15 and 18 who participate in a high school exchange program (who live with a host family in the US or who reside in an accredited US boarding school) are limited 1 year of stay.

Can I Apply for a Green Card on a J-1 Visa?

Since the J-1 visa is a nonimmigrant student visa, there is no direct route from a J-1 visa to a green card or citizenship. The only option to stay in the United States after entering with a J-1 visa is to marry a citizen of the United States.

North American Immigration Center -Immigration Specialists

We offer affordable, flat rate, immigration services to help you save money, because every dollar counts.

Let's Chat Today

Contact Us

Our team is awaiting your message. Reach out and we’ll reach back.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.